JOIN OUR ʻOHANA!
We are looking to add a key person to our Brewery team! We are currently seeking an experienced individual with brewing education and the desire to gain experience on the job.
WHO WE ARE
Our Brewery was founded in 2011 by Thom Kerns. We are located in Waimea/Kamuela on the Big Island of Hawaii. Our award-winning brewing team embraces the traditional art of brewing while pushing established styles with creativity and imagination – the pursuit of excellence and character. Our passionate, hard-working brewers have been consistently winning awards with the beers they produce in our 10 barrel brewhaus and they have fun doing what they do best — brewing world class beers one batch at a time.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This is a FULL-TIME hourly position – 40 hours per week.
Any sincere applicant would need to live or intend to live near Waimea/Kamuela on the Big Island of Hawaii. A discussion of relocation possibilities and advice is encouraged with our representatives.
We’re looking for an experienced brewer who has an unwavering commitment to quality and continuous improvement, a positive attitude, the ability to work alone and as part of a team. A brewer at Big Island Brewhaus is responsible for all aspects of wort production, cellar operations, and packaging from grain to glass. We work in a cross-trained and rotating environment where everyone may brew, work in cellar, packaging and keg cleaning. Assisting with packaging including bottling, and kegging (everyone cleans kegs!) as needed. Experience with a Meheen bottler is a strong plus.
This position requires the flexibility to assist where needed, and will provide many growth opportunities. Mechanical experience (even outside of brewing) or laboratory experience are strong plusses.
Brewery, brewpub, and brewery education are highly valued. Applicants are considered based on experience.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Brewing: Ability to produce wort from a recipe following an SOP is important as well as the knowledge of how to adjust accordingly to meet brew specifications.
- Cellar Operations: Cellar CIP, yeast management, cleaning, transfers, blending etc. Cleaning! Must be focussed on quality control.
- Record Keeping: Detailed records of all work performed is a must.
- Preventative Maintenance: Assist as needed with the preventative maintenance of all brewery equipment. Bottling line, boiler, waste-water treatment, etc.
- Must be safety conscious first, quality minded second, efficiency driven third.
- Willing to work weekends, evenings, and holidays; acceptance of varying and flexible schedules.
- Able to perform a variety of brewing calculations.
- Strong working knowledge of CIP and sanitizing principles.
- Working knowledge of pneumatic systems, industrial electricity, mechanical power, steam generation and distribution, industrial refrigeration and sanitary process piping and systems strongly preferred.
- Ability to work with various computer programs including Microsoft Word & Excel.
- Desired skills: Welding, Plumbing, Commercial Electrical, Forklift
2-5 years experience, and/or college education or trade equivalent. This is not an entry level position, come at us with the skills.
- Positive outlook and attitude, with the ability to think on your feet.
- Resourceful and creative.
- Ability to work unsupervised while maintaining rigorous safety and quality standards.
- Extreme attention to detail, as well as strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time.
- Self motivated with exceptional time-management skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff throughout the organization.
- Physical strength and agility necessary with ability to lift 150 lbs repeatedly.
- Have a passion for making great beer. Punctual, reliable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work independently.
- A Team Player.
- Able to multitask and work in a fast paced environment.
- Strong knowledge of craft beer and the brewing process.
Your pay will be negotiated based on your experience. We want our employees to thrive like our business.
WE OFFER EXCELLENT BENEFITS!
- Medical – we cover 100% of employee’s medical, dental, and vision premiums for eligible employees.
- Employee discounts.
- Great team and company to work with!
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume, salary requirements and cover letter to: [email protected]. We request you accompany your resume with a cover letter, fully explaining your interest in this position.
Pre-employment background check and DMV check required.
Big Island Brewhaus LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.